Posted on July 28, 2021
Brace Yourself, Move-In is Coming: A Last-Minute Checklist for University Move-In
Though the school year may end in May, the work of university and college staff lasts year-round, as many spend their summers preparing for the onslaught of new students that occurs at the end of August. With move-in dates rapidly approaching, mailroom managers must prepare for the rush of packages that will accompany students returning to campus. To help prepare campuses for this increased volume, below are a series of arrangements staff must consider to ensure everyone has a smooth experience:
- Hire seasonal employees for additional processing and re/train student employees.
- Rent tents for additional storage space or partner with other departments on campus to get space in their buildings to store packages awaiting pick up.
- Ensure there are an adequate amount of supplies in place, like labels, carts, and any other necessary office supplies.
- Implement a strong communications strategy, including signs directing individuals where and when to pick up packages.
- Educate the incoming student population on the best address to use when sending a package to campus.
- Adjust mailroom hours to ensure there is enough time to process the high volume and for people to pick up their packages.
- Reach out to the local carriers to ensure everyone is on the same page regarding the timing and location of deliveries.
Facilities already using the Intra platform can take these additional steps for a smooth start to the school year:
- Install Intra on a laptop, tablet, or phone for satellite processing, along with any tech/networking requirements.
- Ensure all emails are set up in Intra to reflect any educational messaging to students and/or service offerings that may have changed with the summer to fall transition.
Is your team ready to tackle the student move-in process? Let us know! Email us at [email protected].